Post-Divorce Modifications in Massachusetts | What to Know

Our lives change drastically over time. We change jobs and houses- relationships begin and end. As a result, the arrangements we make at a certain point may not work years later. This is especially true when it comes to the arrangements made during a divorce, which is an especially transformative time. As a result, you can request a post-divorce modification. Read on to learn more about the process.

What calls for a modification?

There are a number of circumstances that may call for a modification. You may modify the following arrangements for the following reasons:

Child Support

Child support is carefully calculated in order to ensure that the child’s standard of living is the same as before the divorce. But, as children grow, circumstances change. There are a number of reasons to modify child support, including:

  • A change in custody arrangements
  • A parent’s loss of employment
  • A parent’s increase or decrease in income
  • If a child requires money for medical treatments
  • If a child decides to pursue higher education and needs child support extended
  • If a child reaches the age of emancipation and child support can be terminated.

Custody and Visitation

Child custody is one of the most important issues of a divorce- custody is a delicate situation because it can greatly impact the child.  That being said, there are a number of situations that may require a modification when it comes to custody. Some of these situations include:

  • If one parent relocates
  • Any medical problems with the child or a parent
  • A change in a parent’s employment
  • Parent alienation
  • A negative change in the child’s school performance

Spousal Support

Similar to child support, spousal support has been carefully calculated. But, there are various situations that may require either an increase or decrease in spousal support. Some examples include:

  • Loss of employment
  • A change in income
  • An illness
  • A spouse’s ability to become financially independent from the other spouse

If you have any questions or concerns about post-divorce modifications, reach out to our firm today. We will walk you through the process every step of the way.

Contact our experienced Bristol County firm

For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. has provided quality legal support and representation for clients in Bristol County and all of Massachusetts. Our firm’s experience eases the stress of clients while providing the legal services they deserve. If you need help through a contested divorce, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. for a consultation today.