How is Alimony Enforced in Massachusetts?

calculating finances for divorce

When a couple gets divorced, alimony can be a touchy subject. In some cases, one spouse may refuse to pay court-ordered alimony. If this occurs, you may need a Massachusetts judge to intervene. Read on to learn more about alimony enforcement in Massachusetts.

What are the different types of alimony?

Every couple has a different financial situation. In some cases, one spouse will pay put the other through school. Other times, a spouse may put his or her career on hold for the other spouse. Because every couple has a different situation, there are different types of alimony, such as:

  • General term alimony: when a judge decides on regular alimony payments for a determinate period. The length of the marriage is usually the most important factor in terms of this type of alimony.
  • Transitional alimony: This is a support obligation that is used to assist independent spouses into a single, unmarried person. This type is usually awarded in either a lump-sum payment or regular payments.
  • Reimbursement alimony: This type of alimony is for spouses who financially supported their spouse while he or she received higher education or training.
  • Rehabilitative alimony: This alimony may be used if a spouse puts his or her career goals on hold to further the goals of the other spouse.

What if my ex refuses to pay alimony?

If your ex-spouse refuses to pay court-ordered alimony, a Massachusetts judge may need to take enforcement measures. Some ways to enforce alimony include:

  • Wage garnishment
    • This means a judge will order your ex’s employer to deduct a portion of his or her paycheck and send it directly to you.
  • Writ of execution
    • This means a judge will order some of your ex’s property to be seized.
  • Tax refund intercept
    • Your ex’s tax refund can be intercepted and used to pay your alimony.
  • Driver’s license suspension
  • Incarceration

Our firm understands that alimony can be a difficult topic, and we are here to help. If your ex-spouse is not paying you your court-ordered alimony, you will need the help of an experienced divorce attorney. Reach out today to discuss your options with a skilled and dedicated attorney.

Contact our experienced Bristol County firm

For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. has provided quality legal support and representation for clients in Bristol County and all of Massachusetts. Our firm’s experience eases the stress of clients while providing the legal services they deserve. If you need help through a contested divorce, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. for a consultation today.