Mansfield, MA Divorce and Family Mediation | Bristol County
Mediation is a cost-effective resolution suitable for some cases. Over 50% of marriages end in divorce and growing number of people are realizing that litigation has a serious emotional and financial toll on the individuals involved and the family witnessing it. The process of mediation can be successful in many ways. Not only can mediation save time and money, it can help the parties come to an amicable conclusion, retain control over their future, model healthy dispute resolution methods for the children, and forge a new relationship that helps parents cooperate better in a shared parenting structure. If you are interested in mediation, you have already made a great first step and talking to an experienced mediator is in your best interests. For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley has provided quality legal support to couples who wish to quietly divorce. As a licensed mediator, Ms. Hanley is able to help spouses work through their marital issues and come to an agreement. If you would like to know more about mediation, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. for a consultation.
What is mediation?
Mediation is the process in which spouses come together with a neutral third party, a mediator, to discuss their marital issues, working towards an agreement in writing that can be used to get a divorce, if the couple chooses. When successful, mediation can be completed within a few months. There are many benefits to the mediation process.
What are the benefits of mediation?
There are many benefits to mediation. When a couple can decide on this method of dispute resolution, they often come out happier with the outcome.
- Control: Mediation provides control over the future. When a couple can set aside emotions to respectfully negotiate the terms of their divorce, they retain much of the control lost in litigation. During litigation, a judge will make the decisions the couple cannot agree to. There are guidelines and laws that help the courts navigate these cases and make determinations. These decisions can sometimes seem arbitrary and unjust. Mediation leaves these decisions in the hands of the people they directly affect, leaving participants happier with the results.
- Confidentiality: Mediation is confidential. Nothing should leave the room and neither party can use the information shared against the other in court, unless agreed in writing. This allows the couple to be open and honest about what is important to them, helping all parties come to an amicable and private conclusion that addressed all issues, not just the ones each individual feels comfortable discussing.
- Speed: Mediation is a quicker process than any other method of divorce. A successful mediation process can conclude within a few sessions, depending on the complexity and number of unresolved issues. For the most part, many people who successfully navigate the mediation process will wait longer for the divorce to be finalized.
- Cost: Mediation is a cost-effective alternative to litigation. Contested cases are expensive to the couple and the state. Often, court cases begin with the assessment of using mediation and other alternatives to save everyone money.
- Choice: Mediation is voluntary. Mediation is a choice. This is an important benefit because when people choose to engage in the mediation process, they are more likely to have a vested interest in a positive conclusion.
- Family: An often-understated benefit to mediation is the way it lessens the effects of the divorce on the family. When a couple engages in the mediation process, they are more willing to come to an amicable conclusion. Parents with children can benefit from modeling healthy dispute resolution methods while learning to cooperate and forge a new relationship for their co-parenting structure.
Contact an experienced Bristol County mediator
For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. has been a legal resource to those facing divorce in Massachusetts. If you are interested in the mediation process, our firm is here to help. As a certified mediator, Ms. Hanley can help couples come to an agreement, draft the final settlement, and present the agreement to the court to acquire a divorce. If you need quality legal support, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C.