Divorce is complicated for anyone, but when the couple that is divorcing has children together, matters become even more difficult and emotional. One of the most difficult aspects of a divorce for a couple with children is the issue of child custody. Most of the time, neither parent wants to hear that they will have significantly reduced parenting time than they once did. This is also very emotional for the children to have to cope with and can have lasting psychological impacts. When neither parent is willing to compromise on custody, the matter may need to be resolved in the courtroom.
When a judge has to make a decision regarding custody of a child in Massachusetts, they are always going to rule in the child’s best interest. The court takes a number of different factors into consideration when it comes to custody. Some of these factors include the following:
- The physical, educational, and psychological needs of the child
- The parent’s ability to meet the child’s needs
- The lifestyle and living arrangements of each parent
- Each parent’s history of criminal activity, domestic violence, or substance abuse
- The stability offered by each parent
- The relationship between the child and each parent
If you have any questions about custody in Massachusetts, contact our firm today.
If you require compassionate and knowledgeable legal guidance for a matter of divorce, family or estate law, please contact the experienced attorneys at the Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley today. Our firm proudly serves clients in Mansfield, Massachusetts and throughout Bristol County.