Post-Divorce Modifications in Massachusetts

Though most of us simply wish to put our divorce behind us and move forward with our lives, this is not always possible. As life goes on, various aspects of our lives change. That being said, divorce terms that were established years, or even months ago may no longer serve us as intended. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to revise or update the terms of your divorce, please read on and reach out to our experienced Massachusetts divorce attorneys to learn more about how we can help.

What warrants a post-divorce modification?

The main qualifier for a post-divorce modification is proving that you have encountered a significant change in circumstances. Some scenarios that have qualified in the past are as follows:

  • Remarriage or cohabitation: When former spouses remarry, they may not require spousal support any longer, as they now have another paycheck to assist them financially.
  • Child abuse: When a child is exposed to an incident of domestic abuse, a parent with a substance abuse problem, or any other sort of questionable or heinous parental behavior, you should immediately request a modification to your child custody terms.
  • A change in schedule: Children should be immersed in various activities, whether it be sports, after-school activities, or more. However, this oftentimes calls for a change in child custody terms as well.
  • Your child has reached adulthood: Simply put, when a child becomes an adult in the court’s eyes, there is a very good chance you may wish to end his or her child support terms, as he or she should be supporting himself.
  • A child attends college: College tuition is not cheap, and if your child is attending college, regardless of his or her age, you may request an extension on your child support terms for financial assistance.
  • One spouse has a significant change in financial circumstances, whether it be a raise, a demotion, a large inheritance, winning the lottery, and more–this will oftentimes warrant a change in alimony or child support terms.

How can an attorney help me get a post-divorce modification?

When you retain the legal assistance of an experienced attorney, you have someone on your side who will dig through various forms of evidence to prove that your post-divorce modification is truly warranted. For example, our firm will work to obtain police reports, school-related documents, various financial documents, and more. Our firm is ready to help you get the results you need.

Contact our experienced Bristol County firm

For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. has provided quality legal support and representation for clients in Bristol County and all of Massachusetts. Our firm’s experience eases the stress of clients while providing the legal services they deserve. If you need help through a contested divorce, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. for a consultation today.