If you are someone who is going through the divorce process, you should have a firm understanding of the do’s and don’ts of divorce so you can avoid making certain mistakes that may hurt you in the long run. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Massachusetts divorce attorneys to learn more about how our firm can help you through the process. Here are some of the questions you may have:
How can I help the outcome of my divorce?
If you are ready to begin the divorce process, or you are going through it, try and do the following:
- If you have to pay your spouse any amount of money, document it. Paying your spouse via check is a good way to do so.
- Always pay your child support and other payments on time.
- Look out for your children’s well-being.
- Follow all court orders.
- Keep your last two tax returns ready.
- Have a credit report done, as good credit will come in handy after a divorce.
- Understand your retirement plan’s balance.
- Have a copy of your spouse’s last two paycheck stubs.
- Change your passwords.
- Fully disclose all liabilities and assets.
- If you have an alcohol or drug abuse problem, ensure you seek treatment and have that treatment documented.
- Write down all times you drop your children off with your spouse and pick them up.
- Financially plan for living alone.
What should I not do during the divorce process?
Avoid doing all of the following things through every step of the process:
- Get into a new relationship.
- If you do get into a new relationship, do not post about it on social media.
- Get pregnant.
- Send nasty texts to your spouse–do not text your spouse anything you wouldn’t want a judge to see.
- Don’t post about your divorce on social media–avoid social media altogether if possible.
- Deny your spouse parenting time.
- Lie to your attorney.
- Talk about your spouse on social media.
- Relocate with your children.
- Speak negatively about your spouse to your children.
- Donate large contributions to organizations.
- Take your children out of school.
- Make large purchases, such as on a new car, boat, or vacation.
For any additional questions, please do not hesitate to give our experienced Massachusetts firm a call today.
Contact our experienced Massachusetts firm
For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. has provided quality legal support and representation for clients in Bristol County and all of Massachusetts. Our firm’s experience eases the stress of clients while providing the legal services they deserve. If you need help through any family or divorce law matters, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. for a consultation today.