What You Need to Know About Post-Divorce Issues in Massachusetts

If you are someone who has gotten divorced in the past few months or years, as your life has changed since then, you may now require something known as a post-divorce modification. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable Massachusetts divorce attorneys today to learn more about post-divorce issues, how we can help you resolve them, and what the legal process ahead will look like. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do I know if the courts will allow me to receive a post-divorce modification in Massachusetts?

There are various divorce terms that you may modify in Massachusetts, as long as you can prove that there has been a significant and ongoing change in circumstances. Some common reasons for requesting a post-divorce modification are as follows:

  • Remarriage or cohabitation: If your former spouse has recently remarried, that spouse may no longer require alimony. Similarly, alimony payments are also often terminated or at least modified when one spouse either receives a large inheritance, gets a new, better-paying job, wins the lottery, or otherwise comes into a significant amount of money that no longer requires financial assistance.
  • Child abuse: This is one of the most common reasons for requesting a modification to child custody agreements in Massachusetts. That being said, direct child abuse is not the only cause for requesting a modification. For instance, if you can prove that your former spouse is an alcoholic, or has a substance abuse issue, this may also drastically affect child custody in Massachusetts.
  • Your child has changed their schedule: When a child begins participation in an extra-curricular activity, or the child’s schedule changes for any other reason, it may very well warrant a modification to child custody terms.
  • Your child has reached adulthood: If you recently got divorced in Massachusetts and were the financially independent spouse, you most likely are required to pay your former spouse child support payments. That being said, once the child reaches the age of 18, he or she is considered emancipated by the state. However, there are times where parents can request an extension of child support until the child turns 23 years old. This can be the case if the child wishes to receive higher education. That being said, if your child reaches a certain age, you are allowed to request a termination to your child support payments.

Contact our experienced Bristol County firm

For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. has provided quality legal support and representation for clients in Bristol County and all of Massachusetts. Our firm’s experience eases the stress of clients while providing the legal services they deserve. If you need help through a contested divorce, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. for a consultation today.