Will I Lose my Stimulus Check if I am Behind on Child Support Payments?

The coronavirus has impacted people across the country, both physically, financially, and otherwise. If you recently lost your job or had to close up your business, there is a very good chance you are now feeling the full financial ramifications of the virus. Because of this, the government has recently granted a $2 trillion stimulus package, wherein all those who qualify will receive up to $1,200 in stimulus payments. That being said, if you are currently behind on child support payments, for whatever reason, you are most likely wondering whether you are entitled to keep your check or if you will have to forfeit it. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Bristol County family law attorneys to learn more.

Will I have to forfeit my stimulus payment if I owe child support?

Those who have received, or qualify to receive the stimulus payment and owe child support are in a unique situation. Generally speaking, those who owe child support will have to either pay the support directly due to an order entered into the court, or you will have to pay support to the appropriate probation department. If you pay support through the probation department, the department will keep track of how much support you owe, the payments you make, and more. When you do not meet your child support obligations, you will accumulate child support arrears, which results in an outstanding judgment.

Oftentimes, when this happens, the probation department will secure your tax refunds and use them to pay the child support you owe. At this time, it is unclear whether they will garnish stimulus money to satisfy child support arrears, however, there is a good chance they will, as in some ways, they do resemble tax refunds. If you have any additional questions about child support in Massachusetts, please do not hesitate to reach out to our knowledgeable, compassionate Bristol County family law attorneys today. We are here to help you.

Contact our experienced Massachusetts firm

For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. has provided quality legal support and representation for clients in Bristol County and all of Massachusetts. Our firm’s experience eases the stress of clients while providing the legal services they deserve. If you need help through a contested divorce, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. for a consultation today.