Parents have a legal responsibility to care for their children financially. As a result, child support is taken very seriously in the state of Massachusetts. If you are getting divorced, you likely have questions about child support, how it is determined, and what expenses will be covered. Read on to find out more.
What are the Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines?
The state of Massachusetts has child support guidelines in place to outline the importance and rationale behind child support. The guidelines are in place to ensure the following:
- That all parents are financially responsible for their children
- That all a child’s survival needs are provided for, and that the child has a higher standard of living, if possible.
- The child’s standard of living does not decrease as a result of the divorce
- Both parents have a subsistence level of income
- Child support can divert from standard guidelines when a child has special needs
- Parents will bear any additional costs resulting from the maintenance of two separate households
- Non-monetary contributions and involvement of both parents are taken into account
- Monetary and/or in-kind contributions of both parents outside of the child support order
- All children receive the necessary health care insurance
- Ensure child support orders are consistent, simple, and make sense
- Streamline administration
How Do Courts Determine Child Support?
Massachusetts courts will examine a variety of different factors when it comes to making a decision about child support. Some of the factors considered are as follows:
- The cost of child care
- The cost of the child’s health insurance
- The number of children in your household
- Your child custody arrangement
- Child-related expenses
- Sources of income
- Each party’s earning capacity
What Does Child Support Cover?
Child support is meant to help cover all everyday expenses. These expenses may include:
- Basic necessities
- Medical care
- Educational fees
- Extracurricular activities
- College expenses
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your child support agreement and what expenses will be covered, reach out to our firm to speak with an experienced family law attorney. We are here to advocate for you and help ensure your family’s needs are met. We will walk you through all of your family law matters.
Contact our Firm
For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. has provided quality legal support and representation for clients in Bristol County and all of Massachusetts. Our firm’s experience eases the stress of clients while providing the legal services they deserve. If you need help through a contested divorce, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. for a consultation today.