My Ex Endangers Our Child. What Should I Do?

If you’re a parent, the most important thing to you is caring for your child. Unfortunately, this notion just doesn’t ring true for every parent. In cases where parents are divorced and one parent gets primary custody of their child, it becomes more challenging to ensure a child’s needs are being met at all times, especially when the child is staying with the other parent. Some parents find themselves in a position where they believe their ex endangers their child in some way. This is frightening, stressful, and, at times, overwhelming, If you suspect that your ex is endangering your child, you may wonder what options you may have to help protect your child. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Massachusetts child custody lawyers to learn more about your options and how our legal team can help.

What should I do if I believe my ex endangers our child?

If you believe your ex endangers your child, you’re most likely very concerned about your child’s well-being and how to approach the matter. To start, and depending on the way in which you believe your ex endangers your child, you may want to consider speaking with your ex and trying to remedy the issue without taking your ex to court. That said, as you may know, this isn’t always an option for everyone. In cases where a parent doesn’t want to talk about the issue, outright denies there being an issue, or even in cases where parents just aren’t on speaking terms, you may want to consider hiring an attorney who can help you fight for the best interests of your child.

If your attorney can prove that your ex is endangering your child and is, therefore, not acting in your child’s best interests, it may warrant a modification to your child custody agreement. For example, if we can prove that your ex has a substance abuse issue, has taken action that would qualify as domestic violence against your child, or has a mental illness that causes them to behave erratically and may make them a threat to your child, it should warrant a custody modification.

These are just some of the circumstances that may qualify for custody modifications, and if you believe your ex is a danger to your child in any other way, please don’t hesitate to speak with our firm to learn more about how we can assist you.

Contact our experienced Bristol County firm

If you need help through a contested divorce or with any other family law matter,ย contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C.ย for a consultation today.