If I Lost My Job, Do I Have to Continue to Pay Child Support?

Child support is taken very seriously in the state of Massachusetts. It is carefully calculated and decided with the child’s best interest in mind. As a result, it is strictly enforced. If you pay child support and you have lost your job, you may be wondering whether you have to continue making payments. Read on to learn more about child support in the event of unemployment.

How is Child Support Determined?

Child support is paid to the custodial parent from the non-custodial parent. This is because the custodial parent has physical custody of the child, meaning they will reside with them in their home and spend more time with this parent. Because of this, the custodial parent typically spends more money caring for the child. Child support payments may end when a child reaches the age of emancipation. In the state of Massachusetts, the age of emancipation is 18 years old. When making a decision about child support, the court will examine a variety of different factors. Some of these factors include:

  • Sources of income
  • Earning capacity of each party
  • Cost for child care
  • Cost of health insurance for the child
  • Number of children
  • Custody arrangement
  • Child-related expenses

Do I Have to Continue Paying if I Lost My Job?

If you have lost your job, you will still have to continue making payments. You will have to make payments unless it is stated otherwise by a Massachusetts court. But, if you have become unemployed, you may need to modify your child support agreement. This would allow you to modify the amount and/or frequency of payments.

How Do I Modify My Child Support Agreement?

In order to modify your child support agreement, there must be a significant and unexpected change. Loss of employment falls into that category. But, it is important to note that if you have become unemployed because you quit your job, or you were fired due to gross negligence or criminal behavior, you will likely not be able to modify your agreement. In order to modify your arrangement, you should contact a skilled family law attorney. Once you hire an attorney, he or she will file for the modification. Afterward, your attorney will explain to the court why the modification is necessary.

If you have lost your job and you need to modify your child support agreement, contact our firm today to discuss your options. We are here to advocate for you and walk you through all of your family law matters. Reach out to speak with a knowledgeable attorney.

Contact our Firm

For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. has provided quality legal support and representation for clients in Bristol County and all of Massachusetts. Our firm’s experience eases the stress of clients while providing the legal services they deserve. If you need help through a contested divorce, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. for a consultation today.