How do I Get a Post-Divorce Modification?

As our lives progress, things change. This is only natural, and Massachusetts courts have adapted to this simple fact of life. If you are someone who requires a modification to your divorce terms, please continue reading and do not hesitate to speak with our experienced Massachusetts divorce attorneys to learn more about how we can help you through the modification process. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What are some situations that may constitute a post-divorce modification?

  • Remarriage or cohabitation: Very often, when a former spouse remarries, the other former spouse will request a modification to alimony on the grounds that they no longer require their paycheck.
  • Your child has changed his/her schedule: If your child recently joined the baseball team, a music group, or any other activity that will consistently impact his/her schedule, you may request a modification to parenting time or child custody terms.
  • If your former spouse has recently received a significant pay raise, an inheritance, or any other type of substantial financial gain, you may request a modification to support payments, since he/she may no longer require your assistance.
  • Your child has reached adulthood: If your child is emancipated in the eyes of the law, you will most likely no longer owe child support payments, However, in certain cases, when children pursue higher education, their parent may request an extension on support payments until the child turns 23. Some parents may also request these extensions if their child has special needs and requires support payments past the legal age of emancipation.
  • Child abuse: If your former spouse has abused your child in some way, or even has exposed your child to drug use, alcoholism, or an otherwise safe environment, in many cases, the courts will grant you a modification to your child custody agreement.

How do I prove I need a post-divorce modification?

Before the court decides whether you modify your divorce terms, you will have to hire an attorney who can gather and present various types of evidence on your behalf to prove that you or your child require the post-divorce modification. Your attorney may use school records, police reports, financial documents, and more to prove that a modification is in order. If you believe you require a post-divorce modification, simply reach out to our Bristol County firm today.

Contact our experienced Bristol County firm

For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. has provided quality legal support and representation for clients in Bristol County and all of Massachusetts. Our firm’s experience eases the stress of clients while providing the legal services they deserve. If you need help through a contested divorce, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. for a consultation today.