Divorced on the Grounds of Adultery

Divorced on the Grounds of Adultery


My soon to be ex has filed for divorce and changed the petition from irreconcilable differences to adultery. Does the person I had an affair with need to be named and therefore served with papers?

Should they get an attorney?


The grounds of adultery are rare and can only be filed with special permission of the court (which is not freely granted).  The person with whom you had the affair does have to be named and served.  Generally, I advise anyone undergoing a legal proceeding to obtain counsel.

This legal question was provided by Avvo and answered by Cynthia Hanley an experienced Mansfield, Massachusetts Divorce Lawyer.  This does not consent an attorney client relationship.