When can modifications be made to marital issues?

During divorce cases, marital issues need to be resolved in order for couples to go their separate ways. These issues can consist of a variety of topics, regarding possessions and children in the family. Once they are decided on, the divorce can be made final for the couple. However, these decisions are important and can take some time whether they are being decided on in court or in mediation sessions. Since only current circumstances can be considered to make the decisions for marital issues at this time, they are able to be modified in the future to fit any changing circumstances that are deemed to be relevant.

As circumstances change for each spouse, they may need to seek a change to a specific marital issue. If a spouse loses their job and faces unemployment for a period of time, they may be unable to continue to pay for a support system. This can include child support or spousal support. This can affect their original agreement that was made and decided to be a specific amount. Their changing circumstance my cause the amount of child support they pay to be modified. However, they cannot make this decision themselves. They should approach their ex-spouse or file a motion with the court to have it legally modified.

Can my spouse be penalized for failing to follow custody orders?

When your spouse is not following the custody arrangements that are in place, they can be held accountable. You can file a motion with the court to have the case brought in front of a judge. This can better assess the situation. Since custody arrangements are court orders, your spouse can be held in contempt of court by failing to follow the correct orders. A court-mandated agreement is legally binding, making them responsible to follow it. If they fail to do so, it can jeopardize their custody of the children. The child’s well-being is always the most important factor in these cases. Judges should always act with the child’s best interest in mind. They will consider many factors regarding the parents’ lives and the child’s life. If a parent has proven to be an unfit parent, the judge may not grant them with custody rights or may take custody rights away if this is realized later on. It is important to monitor a child’s behavior.

If you require compassionate and knowledgeable legal guidance for a matter of divorce, family or estate law, please contact the experienced attorneys at the Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley today. Our firm proudly serves clients in Mansfield, Massachusetts and throughout Bristol County.