What is a Post-Judgment Modification?

Divorce signals a significant change in a person’s life. Often, when a couple gets divorced, they will face an immediate wave of change. For example, child custody issues may come into play, they may have to move out of their home, and more. That said, in the months or years following your divorce, it’s only natural for your life to change even further. Perhaps you remarry, have another child, get a new job, or otherwise. When life changes significantly, your divorce agreement may need modifying as well. Fortunately, courts in Massachusetts recognize this, and, under certain circumstances, you may receive a post-judgment modification with the help of a seasoned Bristol County divorce attorney. Please continue reading and speak with our legal team to learn more about whether you may qualify for a post-judgment modification and how our legal team can help you through the process ahead.

What are some scenarios that may qualify for a post-judgment modification?

To start, you need to understand that you may only receive a post-judgment modification of any kind if you can prove that there has been a significant, continuing, and unforeseen change, thereby rendering your divorce agreement no longer applicable to your current situation. For example, if you pay alimony but your ex recently got a higher-paying job, received a large inheritance, or otherwise has received a large sum of money, you may request a modification to your initial alimony agreement. Additionally, if your ex remarried, you should also qualify for termination of your alimony agreement.

Child custody may also be modified when a parent can prove there’s been a significant and unforeseen change. For example, if your ex developed a substance abuse issue and you believe they are a danger to your child, you should speak with an attorney about seeking a modification. Other issues that may warrant a modification to child custody are as follows:

  • One parent wants to move out of state with the child
  • One parent develops a mental condition that prevents them from caring for the child’s well-being
  • One parent exposes the child to an act of domestic violence

If you are seeking a modification to your child custody, alimony, or child support agreement, please don’t hesitate to speak with our seasoned legal team. We are here to help you in any way we can.

Contact our experienced Bristol County firm

If you need help through a contested divorce or with any other family law matter,ย contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C.ย for a consultation today.