What do I do if I’ve been served divorce papers?


Regardless of whether you knew your marriage was on the rocks, you may not have realized it had come to the point of your spouse wanting to end the marriage. Being served divorce papers can be devastating and shocking. Overwhelmed by this legal process, many people tend to feel lost as they do not know how to proceed. If you have recently been served divorce papers, you should retain our qualified Bristol County Divorce Lawyers who can walk you through this process. 

What steps should I take after being served divorce papers?

When seeking a divorce, the spouse wanting to terminate the marriage must serve their partner divorce papers to initiate the legal process. Essentially, a divorce petition is a legal document that must be filed with the court to inform them of one spouse’s desire to dissolve the marriage. The legal document is called the Complaint for Divorce. This stipulates that the marital relationship has been broken down and there is no chance of reconciliation. Once the petitioner has filed a divorce petition, they must serve their partner to notify them. This way they will have all the information needed to follow court procedures.

If you have recently been served divorce papers, the first thing you should do is hire a seasoned lawyer who can walk you through this complex process and protect your rights. Having the right legal representation can significantly impact the outcome of your divorce. A lawyer can help you meet important deadlines as well as help you reach a fair settlement that protects your hard-earned assets. After receiving the divorce papers, you will have a chance to answer any allegations or requests made by your partner. Generally, you will have roughly 20 days to file a response with the court. If you fail to provide the court with a response before the deadline, the court has the authority to grant the petitioner a default judgment. With a default judgment, you lose your rights and the judge will likely grant your partner’s requests. You must file your response within the prescribed timeframe to avoid a default judgment and unfavorable terms. From here, your lawyer can help you with a counterclaim. Sometimes spouses regret their decision to file for divorce. However, with a counter-claim even if they change their mind you can still pursue the divorce and avoid having to pay fees to refile.

When served with divorce papers, you need a determined and skilled Bristol County divorce lawyer on your side. With years of experience, our trusted team members can help you protect your hard-earned assets and give you the highest chance of receiving a fair divorce agreement.