Post-Judgment Modifications in Massachusetts | What to Know

When you get divorced, a number of important matters will be determined. This may include child support, spousal support, and child custody. But, as time goes by and your life changes, these arrangements may no longer work. In this case, you may need to request a modification. Read on to learn more about post-judgment modifications in Massachusetts.

Modifying Child Support

In Massachusetts, child support is carefully calculated to ensure that the child’s standard of living is the same, or better, as before the divorce. Because child support has been so carefully calculated, it can be difficult to change. That being said, there are some reasons to increase, decrease, terminate, or extend child support payments. Some circumstances that may call for a modification include:

  • A change in custody arrangements
  • Loss of employment
  • An increase or decrease in income
  • If a child requires money for medical treatments

Modifying Spousal Support

Similar to child support, spousal support has been carefully calculated. But, there are various situations that may require either an increase or decrease in spousal support. Some examples include:

  • Loss of employment
  • A change in income
  • An illness
  • A spouse’s ability to become financially independent from the other spouse

Modifying Custody and Visitation Schedules

Child custody is one of the most important issues of a divorce. It is not easy to change your custody arrangement because this can be very stressful and disruptive to the child. A Massachusetts court is concerned with doing what is best for a child. That being said, there are circumstances that may call for a modification. Some examples include:

  • If one parent relocates
  • Any medical problems with the child or a parent
  • A change in a parent’s employment
  • Parent alienation
  • A negative change in the child’s school performance

In order to modify these arrangements, you will have to show proof that your circumstances have changed dramatically and for the foreseeable future. This can be difficult to do, so it is often best to work with a skilled attorney.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding post-judgment modifications, contact our firm today. We are here to walk you through all of your family law matters.

Contact our Firm

For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. has provided quality legal support and representation for clients in Bristol County and all of Massachusetts. Our firm’s experience eases the stress of clients while providing the legal services they deserve. If you need help through a contested divorce, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. for a consultation today.