Mediation is becoming a more and more popular method of divorce. Read on to learn more about the process, its benefits, and some important tips to keep in mind.
What is mediation?
Mediation involves a couple working with a neutral third party in order to resolve the matters of their divorce. These matters may include child custody, child support, alimony, division of assets, and more. It is important to note that this process takes place outside of the court.
Why get divorced through mediation?
There are a number of benefits when it comes to mediation, including:
- Control: When a divorce occurs through trial, a judge is given the right to make decisions. Mediation leaves these decisions in the hands of the couple, who know best how the outcome will affect their family.
- Confidentiality: The process of mediation is strictly confidential. Neither spouse nor the third party is allowed to share any information in mediation or use it against one another. Additionally, matters that are settled outside of the court cannot become public record.
- Speed: Mediation is typically a quicker process than other methods of divorce. Depending on the couple, the process may last only a few sessions. This is usually dependent upon how many unresolved issues there are to address.
- Cost: Unlike divorcing through a trial, mediation is cost-effective. Divorce through litigation is often expensive not only for the couple but for the state as well.
- Choice: Mediation is a voluntary process, which often means more open communication and cooperation.
- Family: When a couple chooses the route of mediation over divorce through litigation, it often benefits the family involved. Divorce trials are often difficult and hostile situations, while mediation allows for a more healthy conversation. This is especially beneficial for parents with children.
Tips for a successful mediation:
When it comes to mediation, it is important to keep the following tips in mind:
- Pick the right mediation
- Do your research
- Be honest
- Remain level-headed
- Be open-minded
Our firm understands that divorce can be a difficult process, but we are here to work with you, every step of the way. Reach out to speak with an experienced and dedicated divorce attorney today.
Contact our experienced Bristol County firm
For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. has provided quality legal support and representation for clients in Bristol County and all of Massachusetts. Our firm’s experience eases the stress of clients while providing the legal services they deserve. If you need help through a contested divorce, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. for a consultation today.