Mansfield Divorce Lawyer Discusses the Divorce Mediation Process
As an experienced Mansfield Divorce Lawyer, I am often asked by clients how divorce mediation works.
- Divorce mediation is gaining popularity, and it has certainly become more common in recent years in the State of Massachusetts
- Mediation is suitable for some cases, but certainly not all cases
- Advantages of mediation are that you do not need to go to court, which allows for more open and friendly discussions
- The terms that you agree to are in your complete control, rather than a judge being in control of your terms
- It is much more cost-effective to mediate than going to court
- Disadvantages of a mediation is the possibility of the spouse that was in less control during the marriage coming to an overall loss
- The weaker party may agree to something that is not in their best interest, and their mediator is not allowed to give legal advice on the matter
- The court has to determine that the agreement is fair and reasonable
Are you thinking that divorce mediation is right for you and your family? Contact dedicated Mansfield Divorce Lawyer Cynthia Hanley for navigation.