Mansfield Divorce Lawyer Discusses Canceling a Child Support Order

Mansfield Divorce Lawyer Discusses Canceling a Child Support Order


17 years ago, I¬†started a child support order for my child, because the mother didn’t want me to see them anymore. I was told at the time by the MA¬†court that they had never seen a noncustodial parent initiate child support.¬†¬†If a mother starts the child support, she has the right to request through the court to terminate the order. ¬†So since I started the order, can I do the same thing? And, does it matter if my order doesn’t have an end date?


As an experienced Divorce Lawyer, I often handle these types of child support matters.  Whether or not a noncustodial parent can terminate child support depends upon whether the child is emancipated, not who initiated the original child support case. Emancipation of a child depends on whether or not they are in high school/college, the age of the child and whether or not the child is principally dependent upon the custodial parent.

Are you looking to cancel your child support order that you initiated?  Contact experienced Mansfield Divorce Lawyer Cynthia Hanley to help you.

This legal question was provided by Avvo and answered by Cynthia Hanley an experienced Mansfield Divorce Lawyer.  This does not consent an attorney client relationship.