What to Know About Post-Judgment Modifications in Massachusetts

When a couple gets divorced, there are a lot of different things to figure out. You may have to determine child support, child custody, and alimony. These arrangements are carefully orchestrated, so once they are finalized, they can be difficult to modify. That being said, our lives change and what worked at one point may not be sustainable any longer. In this case, you may need to request a post-judgment modification. It is important to note that modifying any of your arrangements will require proof that the modification is necessary, so it is best to retain the help of a skilled family law attorney. Read on to learn more about post-judgment modifications in Massachusetts.

Child Support Modifications

Child support is carefully calculated in order to ensure that the child’s standard of living is the same, or better, as before the divorce. As a result, it is taken very seriously. Skipping child support payments can lead to serious legal issues. That being said, there are various circumstances in which child support payments can be increased or decreased. You may request a modification if the following occurs:

  • A change in custody arrangements
  • Loss of employment
  • An increase or decrease in income
  • If a child requires money for medical treatments

Spousal Support

Similar to child support, spousal support has been carefully calculated. But, there are various situations that may require either an increase or decrease in spousal support. Some examples include:

  • Loss of employment
  • A change in income
  • An illness
  • A spouse’s ability to become financially independent from the other spouse

Custody and Visitation Schedules

Child custody is one of the most important issues of a divorce. It is not easy to change your custody arrangement because this can be very stressful and disruptive to the child. But, again, there are a number of situations that may require a modification when it comes to custody. Some of these situations include:

  • If one parent relocates
  • Any medical problems with the child or a parent
  • A change in a parent’s employment
  • Parent alienation
  • A negative change in the child’s school performance

If you have any questions or concerns regarding post-judgment modifications in Massachusetts, contact our firm today. We are here to walk you through all of your family law matters. Reach out to speak with an experienced and dedicated attorney.

Contact our Firm

For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. has provided quality legal support and representation for clients in Bristol County and all of Massachusetts. Our firm’s experience eases the stress of clients while providing the legal services they deserve. If you need help through a contested divorce, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. for a consultation today.