Should I Keep a Copy of my Massachusetts Divorce Decree?

As you are cleaning out old papers, you may come across your divorce decree and wonder whether you still need to hold on to it. The answer is yes. There are a number of reasons you should keep a copy of your divorce decree. Read on to learn more.

You will need your divorce decree to change your last name

After a divorce, many people wish to change their last name back to their maiden name. In order to complete this process, you will need your divorce decree. The document will be necessary to provide proof of why you are requesting the name change. For example, some people attempt to change their names for fraud purposes, so having your divorce decree can play an important role. Additionally, you will likely need your divorce decree when it comes to updating your passport and license. You may also need to show it to your credit card company when you update the name on your credit cards.

You will need your divorce degree to refinance your home

If you intend to take your ex’s name off your mortgage, you will need your divorce decree. This will prove that your divorce has been legally finalized and that you have permission to make the necessary changes to your mortgage.

You will need your divorce decree to remarry

If you are planning to remarry, you will need your divorce decree. This is because, in the U.S., it is illegal to be married to more than one person at a time. You will need to prove that your previous marriage has ended before entering into your new marriage.

What if I lost my divorce decree?

If you have lost your divorce decree, there is no need to worry. You should be able to obtain a copy by searching for your case on or calling the Probate & Family Court where your case was heard to get your case docket number. However, you will have to pay a fee to obtain a copy.

If you have any questions or concerns about your divorce decree or any other legal documents, contact our firm today.

Contact our experienced Bristol County firm

If you need help through a contested divorce or with any other family law matter,ย contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C.ย for a consultation today.