Getting divorced is a stressful situation. Even if you and your spouse are on the best of terms, emotions can run high, and you may not agree on everything. Other times, spouses are feeling anger and resentment toward each other, which can greatly impact the divorce proceedings. In either case, it is important to get through the process with as little conflict as possible. Some ways to help your divorce go as smoothly as possible include:
- Practice acceptance. One thing to focus on when going into the process is accepting your situation. This can be difficult to do, but coming to terms with it will make the process easier. This is because it may alleviate some of the anger or denial you may feel.
- Be a flexible thinker. One of the most important things you can do in order to have a low-conflict divorce is to be flexible and willing to compromise. Go into it knowing that you will likely have to find a happy medium.
- Try to manage your emotions. There are many heightened emotions that come with divorce proceedings. It is normal to feel strong emotions and it is also normal to want to act on them, but this can impact your divorce proceedings. During this time, it is especially important to have healthy coping mechanisms to process these emotions.
- Communicate effectively. Communication is critical in any divorce. This is especially true when spouses are not on good terms. Be sure to leave your feelings out of it and speak concisely in a neutral tone. Having an experienced mediator can make all the difference when it comes to lessening hostility and conflict.
- It is understandable to feel misunderstood or disrespected during a divorce. You and your spouse may not be on the same page and that’s okay. It is important to know that your feelings are normal and valid.
- Focus on your behavior only. You can’t change how your spouse will act. You can only control your behavior. Keeping this in mind can be extremely helpful.
If you are getting divorced in Massachusetts, you will need an experienced attorney on your side. Our firm is here to walk you through the process each step of the way.
Contact our Firm
For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. has provided quality legal support and representation for clients in Bristol County and all of Massachusetts. Our firm’s experience eases the stress of clients while providing the legal services they deserve. If you need help through a contested divorce, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. for a consultation today.