How To Enforce Child Support in Massachusetts | What You Should Know

Needless to say, both parents are responsible for supporting their children until they reach the age of emancipation. In Massachusetts, the age of emancipation is 18 years, but sometimes it can extend beyond that point. Nonetheless, your former spouse has refused to meet his or her financial obligations as formalized by Massachusetts’s Family Court system. If you are in need of assistance in seeing to it that your former spouse pays what he or she is legally required to pay, then contact one of our experienced Massachusetts child support lawyers in Mansfield, MA to learn what you should know about how to enforce child support in Massachusetts.

How do you enforce child support in Massachusetts?

A child support order is a legal obligation. Not paying is not an option. To enforce the support your child is entitled to, you should inform the court or the Child Support Enforcement Division. With or without these entities, you can file a complaint for contempt and the non-paying parent will face the following consequences:
  • Being held in contempt
  • Additional fines
  • Wage garnishments
  • Wage assignments
  • Levies against his or her bank accounts
  • Suspension of his or her licenses
In extreme cases, the court may issue an arrest warrant if the noncustodial parent falls seriously behind in child support payments. In such cases of willful nonpayment of child support, the delinquent parent may go to jail for a period of time.

How does Massachusetts calculate child support?

Massachusetts employs a fairly straightforward metric. Based on a couple’s combined gross income, i.e. the amount earned before taxes and deductions, a percentage will be calculated based on the number of children. For example, the percentages are up to 30 percent of gross combined income for two children and up to 35 percent for 5 children.

How can a Massachusetts divorce issue lawyer help you enforce child support?

While Massachusetts’s Child Support Enforcement Division can help enforce child support, you should reach out to one of our skilled Massachusetts divorce issue lawyers in Mansfield, MA who will file the correct paperwork and attend a hearing on your behalf. These matters may seem simple, but mistakes can be costly. If nothing else, they are time-consuming. A legal representative can fully apprise you of your rights and responsibilities. Our firm will also provide you with an honest assessment of your case and its likelihood of success. These cases can languish. Do not let yours be one of them. Give us a call today.

Contact our experienced Bristol County firm

For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. has provided quality legal support and representation for clients in Bristol County and all of Massachusetts. Our firm’s experience eases the stress of clients while providing the legal services they deserve. If you need help through a contested divorce, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. for a consultation today.