When Can I Stop Paying Child Support in Massachusetts?

Child support can be affected by many outside factors. Sometimes, a parent may believe they should not have to pay child support, while in other cases, children may want to be emancipated from their parent’s support. To learn more, reach out to our firm today and speak with our dedicated Massachusetts family law attorneys.

What is the age of emancipation in Massachusetts?

In Massachusetts, a child may reach emancipation if they reach a certain age or have the ability to provide for themselves. Once a child is considered emancipated, the parents are no longer required to pay child support. It is essential to understand that parents are required to financially support their children. However, usually, in the state of Massachusetts, once the child reaches the age of 18, they may be emancipated. In some circumstances, there are cases where emancipation ends early or may be extended.

When can I stop paying child support in Massachusetts?

Emancipation is considered through a variety of different factors because not every situation is the same. Some of the following can cause emancipation if the child:

  • Gets married
  • Enters the military
  • Lives independently, depending on their level of autonomy
  • Turns 18
  • Gets pregnant

The following conditions can spark an extension for child support and a delay of emancipation:

  • Once the child turns 23, child support is no longer permitted to be requested under any circumstances
  • The child receives a higher education, such as college or trade school, and cannot yet support themselves

If you have questions or concerns regarding child support, do not wait to reach out to our skilled family law attorneys today to discuss the specifics of your case and your options.

Can a child emancipate themselves?

If a child would like to support themselves financially, they may be able to petition the court for emancipation. It is important to know that while the child may have many reasons as to why they should be emancipated, it is not guaranteed. The court has full discretion. Furthermore, it is important to note that the court has the power to un-emancipate a minor if it is found that the child is not financially independent.

If you have questions or concerns regarding how emancipation works, do not wait to reach out to our firm at The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. today to speak with one of our dedicated legal team.

Contact our experienced Bristol County firm

For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. has provided quality legal support and representation for clients in Bristol County and all of Massachusetts. Our firm’s experience eases the stress of clients while providing the legal services they deserve. If you need help through a contested divorce, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. for a consultation today.