When Can I Stop Paying Alimony in Massachusetts?

If you got divorced months or years ago and you believe the alimony agreement initially established no longer reflects your financial situation, you may be looking to modify or terminate that agreement now. Please continue reading and speak with our experienced Massachusetts divorce attorneys to learn more about what we can do for you.

What happens if my ex asks the courts to increase alimony payments?

In various cases, after the dissolution of a marriage, one spouse will believe that the alimony structure must be modified. Oftentimes, this is the financially supporting spouse. However, there are various circumstances wherein the financially dependent spouse also has valid grounds for an increase in alimony payments. Though Massachusetts courts examine these requests on a case-by-case basis, several factors may warrant an increase in alimony, or spousal support payments. They are as follows:

  • The supporting spouse received a promotion, a higher-paying job, or otherwise came into a large amount of money, thereby warranting an increase of spousal support to the dependent spouse.
  • The dependent spouse lost his or her home.
  • The dependent spouse’s cost of living has increased, either due to a significant rise in taxes or otherwise.
  • The dependent spouse has developed a medical condition or otherwise has to pay hefty medical bills and cannot do so without financial assistance.

Is there a way to decrease the alimony payments I make in Massachusetts?

In many cases, the answer is yes, however, you will have to prove that there has been a significant and ongoing change in circumstances that warrants a decrease or termination of alimony payments. Some of the factors that will sometimes warrant a decrease or termination of alimony payments are as follows:

  • The financially dependent spouse is not trying to get him or herself a job.
  • The financially supporting spouse has retired.
  • The financially supporting spouse has lost his or her job and cannot afford to continue the current alimony structure.
  • The financially dependent spouse has gotten remarried and no longer requires financial assistance.
  • The financially dependent spouse has become financially independent in some way.

If you have any additional questions, or you believe your alimony agreement warrants a modification, please do not hesitate to give our knowledgeable Bristol County divorce attorney a call today. We are here to help you through every step of the legal process ahead.

Contact our experienced Massachusetts firm

For over 30 years, The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. has provided quality legal support and representation for clients in Bristol County and all of Massachusetts. Our firm’s experience eases the stress of clients while providing the legal services they deserve. If you need help through a contested divorce, contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C. for a consultation today.