Can I bring my attorney to mediation?

Mediation can be used for uncontested divorces to solve issues amicably. For these sessions, couples can talk about their marital issues with one another to resolve them before their divorce is finalized. If couples are unable to solve their issues during mediation sessions, they may have to enter into a contested divorce that can lead them to court. For mediation sessions, couples are encouraged to work together to make decisions. During these sessions, they can bring their attorney to mediation. Each spouse can have their attorney come to mediation with them to give them legal aid during these sessions.

Marital issues can focus on their assets and their family. They will have to make decisions for child custody arrangements, child support, alimony and the division of assets. During mediation sessions with your spouse, a neutral third party that serves as a mediator during these sessions will facilitate the process for everyone involved. This individual can guide you through the mediation process and keep the conversation working toward a final solution. Since mediation requires the cooperation of both spouses, they may find it beneficial to bring their attorneys with them for support during this emotional time. With an attorney present, spouses may be more inclined to speak their minds in and open and honest way.

Can marital issues be modified?

Only current factors are considered when spouses decide on marital issues in mediation processes. These circumstances can change in the future due to a variety of reasons. This allows room for marital issues to be changed in the future. This can be used to fit a spouse’s changing circumstances or to better fit a child regarding custody matters or child support. There are many factors that go into each decision. As these factors change, the decisions may need to be changed as well. Marital issues can include a range of decisions, such as custody arrangements, child support, alimony and the division of assets. When children are being negatively affected by their custody arrangement, it can be a good idea to seek an adjustment. You can file a motion with the court to bring the case to the attention of a judge. This may be able to better fit the child’s needs and give them a more favorable outcome.

If you require compassionate and knowledgeable legal guidance for a matter of divorce, family or estate law, please contact the experienced attorneys at the Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley today. Our firm proudly serves clients in Mansfield, Massachusetts and throughout Bristol County.