Can a Substance Abuse Issue Impact Child Custody?

All good parents are worried about the safety and well-being of their children. That said, doing so isn’t always easy, especially when parents share custody and can’t keep a constant eye on their children. If you believe your ex has developed a substance abuse issue and poses a risk to your child, you should understand that you do have options, and our legal team can help you explore those options and keep your child safe. Please continue reading and reach out to a seasoned Bristol County child custody lawyer from the Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley to learn more about how a substance abuse issue can impact child custody and how our legal team can help ensure the well-being of your child. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Can I get a modification to my child custody agreement if my ex has a substance abuse issue?

If you reached a child custody agreement when you were initially divorced, but your ex has since developed a substance abuse issue, you’re most likely wondering whether you can modify your child custody agreement for the sake of your child’s safety. Since the well-being of your child is at the heart of your custody agreement, as long as you and your attorney can prove that your ex has developed a substance abuse issue that impact’s your child’s safety, you should have grounds for a modification to your custody agreement. For example, if you can prove that your ex was driving while intoxicated with your child in the car, it should warrant a modification to child custody.

What if I had a substance abuse issue but don’t anymore?

Conversely, if you were initially denied child custody on the grounds that you had a substance abuse issue, yet you’ve sought treatment or can otherwise prove to the court that you no longer have a substance abuse issue and are prepared to responsibly raise your child and be a part of their life, you may also qualify for a modification to your custody agreement so you can play a bigger role in your child’s life.

Whether you’re looking to get full custody or you believe you may qualify for a child custody modification, please don’t hesitate to speak with our dedicated legal team. We are here to help you, every step of the way.

Contact our experienced Bristol County firm

If you need help through a contested divorce or with any other family law matter,ย contact The Law Offices of Cynthia L. Hanley, P.C.ย for a consultation today.